Eduardo Souto de Moura
© Alfredo Cunha
Eduardo Elísio Machado Souto de Moura is an internationally recognized and respected Portuguese architect. Since he started creating, in the late 1970s, until today, he has maintained a coherence, discipline and creativity that are rare and genuine. That is why he was distinguished with the Pritzker Prize in 2011, which places him in the reduced gallery of architects who, according to the definition of the prize, produced “relevant contributions to humanity” with “the art of architecture”.
Graduated in Architecture at the Escola Superior de Belas-Artes do Porto, and starting his career with Álvaro Siza, an unparalleled master of Portuguese architecture, he was in the right place at the right time: the “Escola do Porto”; democracy giving its first steps; the international architecture crisis. In this context, he knew how to respond with unshakable confidence, talent and passion for architecture.

Casa das Artes (Porto), a “wall-building”, blending granite with mirrored glass, revealed an architecture, even more than an architect. From then on, generations of architects, inside and outside Portugal, found in the sophisticated simplicity of this architecture, a guide for their projects. A set of houses built during the 1980s and 1990s have become a residential model, replicated without parallel. The next challenge was taken up with surprising effectiveness and beauty: the transition from the small scale to the city one. Braga’s Stadium revealed an unforgettable monument; Porto’s subway plan, the ability to coordinate a territorial infrastructure, without losing the architectural order; the Burgo Building (Porto), the challenge of projecting an alternative to the vulgarized tower.

However, he was experimenting with new paths: from the “fly eyes” of the Manoel de Oliveira Film House (Porto), to the emblematic “chimneys” of the Casa de Histórias Paula Rego (Cascais). To new construction, he added, throughout the country, rehabilitation projects that are milestones: Pousada do Bouro, Convento das Bernardas (Tavira), or the tourist complex of São Lourenço do Barrocal, distinguished with the Golden Lion, in Venice, 2018.

Following the best modern tradition, he also produces artistic installations and design pieces, covering all scales of visual culture and construction methods. With the confidence of someone who knows - a knowledge of experience - what architecture is. Which, after all, he helped to reinvent.
This property located between Avenida da Liberdade and Praça da Alegria served as a residence for the Keil family until the middle of the 20th century. The most famous member of this family was Alfredo Keil, which name was given to the adjacent garden in Praça da Alegria, and known for being the composer of the melody of the Portuguese anthem “A Portuguesa”. Also, illustrious member of this family was the Architect Francisco Keil do Amaral, grandson of Alfredo Keil.

The building was built in 1846 by Felix Nicolau Caleia. Years later, on July 13, 1886, one of his descendants, Alexandre Caleia sold the building to Hans-Christian Keil, a german who settled in Lisbon as a tailor in the middle of the 19th century. After acquiring the property, Hans-Christian Keil expanded it in 1888. On June 22 he received a city license for the works, being obliged to complete them within a year. After this reconstruction, the building consisted of retail stores on the ground floor, a storehouse above the stores, 3 residential floors, an attic and a garden facing Praça da Alegria. Interestingly, those two dates coincide with the opening of Avenida da Liberdade (1886) and the completion of its layout (1888), where this property was located and witnessed the demolition of the “Passeio Público” Park, marking the end of the romantic era, replaced by the new avenue that brought an entire bourgeois universe.

In 1954, the Keil family sold the property to Companhia de Seguros Ultramarina, later Bonança, and in 2007 it was acquired by EastBanc, which now promotes its rehabilitation, contributing to the requalification of Avenida da Liberdade and Praça da Alegria.
Norte
Tiago Eiró
CEO EastBanc Portugal
This is a unique project in one of the most emblematic areas of Lisbon, that offers different office and retail space for companies and brands that look for excellence. We aimed to adapt this project for companies’ current needs, which nowadays look for broader areas and flexible spaces that allow various space design options. In times when companies are rethinking their workplaces, Alegria One will be an excellent option for the premium segment.
EastBanc Portugal is a subsidiary of EastBanc Inc., a property management and promotion company, specializing in the acquisition, refurbishing and management of real estate assets, particularly in the area of urban revitalization.

Founded by Anthony Lanier, and headquartered in Washington DC, EastBanc specializes in real estate promotion and management, with the aim of long-term appreciation of commercial, residential and tourism assets.

After recovering neighbourhoods like Georgetown, in Washington DC, EastBanc has been investing in Portugal for about 20 years, especially in the Príncipe Real area and adjacente areas such as the road access Rua da Alegria which connects Avenida da Liberdade to Príncipe Real. Its intervention has been such to make urban regeneration happen, from the residential component or offices, to the development of street retail. So far, EastBanc has acquired about 20 buildings in Portugal, including the Ribeiro da Cunha Palace (now EmbaiXada) or the Palácio Faria (winner of 4 awards in 2020 for the best residential rehabilitation in Portugal), as well as other palaces in the neighbourhood, mostly historic and exclusive buildings, being one of the main promoters in the Portuguese market in the area of urban revitalization. With about 40,000 m2 of GLA (Gross Leasable Area) in real estate management and promotion, integrating different projects, from commercial spaces, offices, condominiums, hotels, among others.

With a long-term strategy, which involves the continuous development of its assets and more acquisitions in its neighborhood of choice, Príncipe Real, or in other areas of the city always for rehabilitation, the company is also currently focused on greenfield development for larger projects.
ALEGRIA ONE

Retail Store
Avenida da Liberdade 89
1250-140 Lisboa
Portugal

Offices and Restaurant
Praça da Alegria 1
1250-004 Lisboa
Portugal
EASTBANC

Praça do Príncipe Real 11 1º
1250-184 Lisboa
Portugal

geral@eastbanc.com
+351 213 404 150

www.eastbanc.pt
This document is not a conctractual one.
Its content is solely informative and can be changed, with maintaining the quality standards.

Copyright © 2021 EastBanc. All rights reserved.
ALEGRIA ONE

Architecture
Eduardo Souto de Moura

Contractor
Alves Ribeiro

Development
EastBanc
COMMUNICATION

Texts
EastBanc

Editorial Coordination and Images
18—25 Architectural Visualization
www.1825.pt